Bright Futures for Families helps parents make decisions for their children by providing parents with the resources they need to become confident, well informed, and active partners in their children's health and development. The resources provide insight and guidance as parents plan health visits and discussions with the many people who share in the care of their children.
Bright Futures for Families is a project of Family Voices, developed in
collaboration and with the support of the federal Maternal and Child Health
Bureau (MCHB) of the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).*
The Bright Futures for Families initiative was established in 1995 to
provide families with family-friendly child health and development information
and materials based on the Bright Futures Guidelines used by health professionals
across the country.
Bright Futures for Families Materials and Resources
Bright Futures for Families extends the focus of Bright
Futures with a variety of materials and resources
developed for families, schools and communities that complement Bright
Futures publications and materials used by health care professionals.
Families want and need materials that have the same information used by
their health care provider, but written in a way that they can understand
and easily refer back to when needed. These family-friendly materials:
- Provide valuable information about child development and what to expect, from infancy through adolescence.
- Help families form partnerships with their providers.
- Empower families to advocate for the health care needs of their children.
- Encouragefamilies to help their children gradually assume responsibility for their own health
* This material is funded through a cooperative agreement to Family Voices from the US Department of Health and Human Services, HRSA, MCHB, #MCO4453.
Bright Futures for Families Theme Areas
The Bright Futures Knowledge Base contains a wealth of topics and concepts.
Click here to view