Editor’s Note:- Overall, I like Itworks greens but after analyzing several superfood greens powders out there, I rate Athletic Greens as the best product and it comes out on the top and is definitely better than It works Greens
But price of Athletic Greens is more on the higher side. However, after really studying it thoroughly and analyzing its ingredients and other points, it actually becomes quite affordable. Overall, if you want the best green superfood drink, Athletic Greens is a no-brainer, especially when you can try it for 60 days and get a refund if you’re not happy. Remember to get their monthly auto refill program (aka autoship) for a monthly savings of $30.
If you are looking for cheaper alternatives to Athletic Greens and It works Greens , I recommend GOL RAW Meal and IdealGreen and Perfect Aquatic Greens.
Refer to the section :- Cheaper alternatives to Athletic Greens and It works Greens on the go
Alkalize. Balance. Detoxify. These are words used to describe “It Works, Greens”, a supplement said to restore pH balance to the body. With restored alkalinity, it’s said, you will experience immune system health and increased energy.
We all get intrigued by –and had questions about – claims that we can alter the alkalinity of the body to improve health for a while now and so when It Works Greens came to my attention and I researched more about it.
It Works Greens is a line of superfood powders that deliver a hefty dose of nutrition–the equivalent of 8 servings of fruits and veggies per scoop. Now for those of use looking to get more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants in our diet, Greens definitely is a good way to go. You can simply mix a scoop of the green superfood powder into a glass of water, and it will deliver a hefty dose of those vital nutrients.
One of the great things about Greens is that there are multiple flavors. You can find it in citrus and berry flavor, which helps to mask the “green-ness” of the powder. There are also “on the go-sized” envelopes you can slip into your computer bag or briefcase and take with you wherever you travel. They’re a great option for those who move around a lot or want to bring better nutrition to work without having to brown-bag their lunch.
Made from 38 different veggies, herbs, and fruits
Packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
Promotes healthy pH balance
Delivers the nutritional value of 8 servings of fruits and veggies per packet
Package size: 30 single-use envelopes
Price: $52 (For latest discounts and prices!)
The It Works Greens on the Go is one of the better products for busy professionals and parents. Each packet is small enough to take to work with you, and the powder mixes easily with your water, juice, or other liquids to make a quick fruit and veggie shake.
The berry flavoring is one of the most popular, as it is easiest to mix with water. If you prefer to mix with juice, however, the citrus flavor is a good option.
One of the great things about this powder is that it is highly alkalizing. Meat, fat, and sugar promote acidity, but veggies and fruits help to keep your body’s pH balance more alkaline. This reduces your risk of diseases and health problems and keeps everything in your body running smoothly.
You’ll find that taking the superfood powder may be just what you need to improve your overall health, especially if you’ve been struggling to eat fruits and veggies all your life.
Make no mistake: the product delivers the vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants of 8 servings of veggies, but not the fiber. You always need to get plenty of fiber in your diet, which is why raw veggies and fruits are your best option.
Pros of It Works Greens
Here are a few positive things users have had to say about Greens It Works:
Variety of nutrients — The fact that this powder is made from 38 different herbs, veggies, fruits, and berries makes it a good option for those who want a wide variety of nutrients. You get a lot of healthy minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that will improve your health.
Easy to mix –– All you have to do is pour the powder into a glass of water or juice, stir with a spoon, and it’s ready to drink! No need to shake it up in a Blender bottle or puree it in a blender. It’s quick and easy to mix.
Improves health — By balancing your pH and alkalizing your body, this product WILL improve your health. It will help you to get more nutrients in your diet and can make up for a low-fruit/veggie diet. For those who are too busy to eat healthy, it’s a good option to consider.
Gives a boost of energy –– All of the vitamins and minerals in the supplement will give you a wonderful boost of energy, just minutes after drinking it. They will revitalize and reinvigorate your body, and you’ll feel much better all day long.
Greens Proprietary Blend (1,080 mg)
The Greens Blend ingredients have changed since this review was created. The table below reflects the current ingredients.
Here are the ingredients in the first proprietary blend.
Blue green algae (spirulina)
Alfalfa extract (aerials)
Matcha green tea
green tea leaf extract
Previously The Greens Blend contained soy lecithin and soy protein isolate. In the new version, these ingredients were removed. Spirulina was in the previous ingredients list too and it remains in the current version of the product.
Does It Works Greens Alkalize The Body?
The idea of being more alkaline as a way to promote health has been around for a long time. Acid foods – such as meats and grains- are said to be bad, while eating more alkaline foods – like fruits and vegetables – are said to be good for us. I’ve even been to health fairs where people would place their tongue on a piece of pH paper to test show whether they were acid or alkaline.
Honestly, I never understood this. Even if the mouth or urine is acidic, that does not mean the same thing as the acidity level in the blood.
The degree of alkalinity (or acidity) is measured by the pH. This is a scale from 0 to 14. A pH of 1 is very acidic while a pH of 14 is very alkaline.
A neutral pH (neither too acid or too alkaline) is 7.0.
Here’s the thing: the pH of our blood is about 7.35 to 7.45. In other words, the pH of healthy human blood is normally slightly alkaline. The body is usually very good at maintaining this healthy pH range.
This is actually very important because significant deviations from this range (making the blood either too acid or too alkaline), could actually kill us!
Having said all that, I do believe it’s best to eat a more “alkaline diet” – but that’s not because it makes us more alkaline.
Rather, eating a more alkaline diet means we are also eating more fruits and vegetables and flooding our bodies with all of their healthy antioxidants and other compounds. I believe that is what helps us stay healthy.
I don’t believe that eating these foods significantly alters the pH of the blood and make us more “alkaline.” I think the benefits of eating more “alkaline foods” is that they tend to contain many health-promoting compounds like antioxidants and phyto-nutrients.
Other bad points:-
Nasty flavor when not mixed — Most people recommend mixing these powders with juice, as the flavor is pretty awful when mixed with water. The berry-flavored powder tastes a bit better, but neither are truly delicious on their own.
Can cause stomach upset –– For those with delicate digestive systems, it may be better to avoid this supplement. Many users have commented that it works like a colonic cleanser, flushing out their insides. If you are sensitive to food and have problems with your digestive tract (like IBS), consult your doctor before trying!
But, wait, does that mean It Works Greens is the best superfoods powder out there?
No! In my opinion, Athletic Greens came out on top as the best all-round greens powder. It has even more diverse ingredients and is more nutrient-dense than It works Greens.
There are a lot of top contenders for greens powders that provide a hefty amount of vitamins, minerals, digestive benefits, and antioxidants, and quantify their claims. (That’s the hardest part — most products don’t back up the claims they make.)
Athletic Greens provides 700 percent of your daily Vitamin C, 100 percent or more of most B-vitamins (including B12), K2 and zinc;. It has at least twenty percent of your RDI of selenium, manganese, and chromium. It also has the antioxidants of twelve servings of vegetables, 7.2 billion probiotic bacteria, digestive enzymes, adaptogens, and even ingredients linked to mental health, like rhodiola rosea and ashwagandha.
As you can see, it has a lot of well-quantified health benefits, and it also tastes amazing and has even more superfoods ingredients than It Works Greens.
The only downside is that at $4.23 per serving, it’s pretty expensive. It’s cheaper if you sign up for a monthly subscription, which bumps it down to $3.23 per serving.
However, after really studying it thoroughly and analyzing its ingredients and other points, it’s actually quite affordable. Overall, if you want the best green superfood drink, Athletic Greens is a no-brainer, especially when you can try it for 60 days and get a refund if you’re not happy. Remember to get their monthly auto refill program (aka autoship) for a monthly savings of $30.
In the end, Athletic Greens comes out on top.
IF you are looking for a cheaper option, then GOL RAW Meal or IdealGreens or Perfect Supplements Aquatic Greens or Amazing Grass comes out on top, but remember you get what you pay for.
Best Greens powders in different categories
We looked for the best greens powders in different categories, then provided a descriptive analyses behind why we chose each included in the lists below.
Best Overall Greens Powder: Athletic Greens
Best Greens Powder for Athletes: GOL RAW Meal
Best Tasting Greens Powder: Athletic Greens
Best Affordable Green Powder (including cost per grams): Idealgreens Superfood and Perfect Aquatic Greens
Best Greens Powder for Weight Loss: Athletic Greens and GOL Organic Plant protein powder
GOL Organic Plant protein powder – Made with 13 raw sprouted organic ingredients and having 28g complete plant protein, RAW Fit is a USDA Organic plant-based high-protein powder specifically designed for weight loss.
Besides, GOL RAW Meal is also an extraordinarily nutritious product that, with 20 grams per serving, doubles as a protein shake. Not only does it have ample greens and vegan protein, it also has probiotics, digestive enzymes, and at least 50 percent of the recommended daily intake of Vitamins A, B-12, C, D, E, K, and 30 percent of your daily calcium and iron.
It works Greens alternatives: Should you try Athletic Greens?
Superfood powders are highly sought after health supplements because they contain so many different nutrients from high quality fruits and veggies.
Most contain wholly intact fiber, healthy fats and undenatured protein that is highly bioavailable when processed as is in your digestive system.
Superfood powders have many benefits, here are just a few:
- Provides a natural whole food supply of antioxidants, fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals and other vitally important micronutrients.
- Provides a quick and easy way to meet your fruit and veggie daily needs.
- Typical superfood powders contain many different whole food extracts from all around the world, so your body is able to get a well balanced mix of nutrients from plants and soils that have diverse nutrient profiles.
- Naturally Energizing.
- Boosts immune system health.
- They cost much less than superfood capsules!
Athletic Greens comes out on the top and is better than It works Greens
But like I said , it’s more on the expansive side. However, after really studying it thoroughly and analyzing its ingredients and other points, it actually becomes quite affordable. Overall, if you want the best green superfood drink, Athletic Greens is a no-brainer, especially when you can try it for 60 days and get a refund if you’re not happy. Remember to get their monthly auto refill program (aka autoship) for a monthly savings of $30.
Cheaper alternatives to Athletic Greens and It works Greens
Here I also list some of the cheaper options, that aren’t as great as Athletic Greens, but still do a pretty good job.
Actually, when looking for the best superfood powder, you need to factor in both quality and price.
First, try and figure out what kind of superfoods you’re looking for. Do you want a single ingredient superfood powder or do you want a blend? If so, what kind of blend? Green foods only? Just berries? Raw? Protein-rich?
The list goes on and on, and the various types of superfood powders available range from simple things like the aforementioned qualities to even complex matters like superfoods extracted from a specific geographic location or extracted using cold processing technology (raw/undenatured).
If you don’t know what that means, it means it’s going to be more expensive. In all honesty, I’d go with one of the following blends because they combine a good mix of price/quality:-
(Before checking out this list, remember if you want the best green superfoods powder and don’t care about the price, go for Athletic Greens. )
- GOL RAW Meal is an extraordinarily nutritious superfoods greens product that, with 20 grams per serving, also doubles as a protein shake. Not only does it have ample greens and vegan protein, it also has probiotics, digestive enzymes, and at least 50 percent of the recommended daily intake of Vitamins A, B-12, C, D, E, K, and 30 percent of your daily calcium and iron. Provides a value for money, way more than It works Greens
- IdealGreens :- Chock full of barley, alfalfa, wheat grass, spirulina, chlorella, algae, ginger and many other grasses and greens. One of our favorites because it is so pure and nutrient rich. I recommend this if you can’t afford Athletic Greens. It’s an affordable alternative and the best among its peers.
- Perfect Supplements Aquatic Greens – Organic: Pure blend of organic spirulina and chlorella powder. Can’t beat the price either. One of our top picks! They also offer other superfoods like alfalfa, wheat grass, barley, apple pectin, red beet, chlorella, milk thistle, grapeseed, broccoli and much more. See their healthy greens collection.
- Perfect Supplements Chlorella Powder – Organic: Pure, organic chlorella powder.
- Perfect Supplements 3 grass blend: A great blend of 3 natural grass – organic barley, oat and wheat grass . Makes for a great smoothie boost.
- BulkSupplements Chlorella Powder: Unbeatable price!!
- Perfect Supplements Plant Protein – This is an ideal blend of hemp, mushroom, and brown rice protein enhanced with enzymes and probiotics. Vegetarian protein powders are easily digestible and perfect for building and maintaining lean muscle mass. This vegetarian protein powder contains an immune system enhancing blend of super food mushrooms including Reishi, King Trumpet, Lion’s Mane, Cordyceps, Turkey Tail, Shiitake and Maitake.
- Rawgeneration PROTEIN CLEANSE – Protein Smoothies & cold pressed juices :- Awesome variety of green and antioxidants juices for protein smoothies and cleansing containing ingredients like spinach, kale, apple, dry fruits, flax seeds, dates, chia seeds etc. etc. It’s more on the expensive side but save 75% if you subscribe.
- Barlean’s Greens – Nature’s Perfect Superfood: Probably the highest quality superfood powder on the market. It’s also on the expensive side.
- Klamath Blue Green Algae Powder: 100% pure blue green algae from Klamath, Oregon. Over 60% protein by weight and one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet.
- Futurebiotics Certified Organic Digestive Greens: A tablet form of wheat grass, spirulina, barley grass and fennel sprout. Just in case you can’t handle all the powders 😉
- Nutricology: ProGreens Powder: A great mix of greens rich in natural protein and healthy fats. Definitely check this one out if you’re looking for a smaller trial size tub of premium greens powder.
- Nutra Forme Cyto Greens for Athletes: An energy-packed superfood powder rich in natural greens, enzymes, fiber, and detoxifying herbs like milk thistle. A great all around greens powder for athletes, bodybuilders or even regular people looking for a natural energy boost.
- MRM Daily Energy Greens – 100% All Natural: 15,000 ORAC units per serving, 100% all natural greens.
- Eclectic Institute: Eclectic Institute makes many different freeze-dried superfood POW-ders (as they call them) that contain only 100% organic, natural & free-dried pure food extracts. An incredibly popular brand with plenty of healthy superfood powders to choose from.
- Jarrow Green Defense: A popular green superfood blend that has been formulated specifically with immune boosting plant powders.
- Green Foods Green Magma: Barley grass tablets that are rich in protein and chlorophyll. If you’re looking for a tablet greens powder, here you go!
- Nature’s life Green Whey Pro-96: Whey protein and greens superfoods, can you beat that combo? Makes for a delicious, healthy breakfast boost.
- Olympian Labs – Greens Protein 8 in 1: A hemp protein fortified greens protein powder. One of our most popular because it contains hemp, pea and brown rice protein and tastes great!
- Kyo-Green Energy (Powder): A great greens powder for those looking to increase their natural energy levels.