HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST PROBIOTICS FOR WEIGHT LOSS?
For all those who are conscious of what they consume, ‘a healthy diet’ is something that can never be overlooked! Knowing and learning about what are Probiotics, is a must for you to have a healthy gut, such that you can evade as well as fight many diseases.
We must know that any balanced diet can never be complete, without ‘PROBIOTICS’!
What are probiotics?
It should fascinate you, to know that our gut contains innumerable bacteria! It is their residing place, and they are crucial as well as beneficial for a healthy digestive system.
Let’s define them:
Probiotics are microorganisms, usually bacteria found in the human gut, which are beneficial to health. They’re also called “friendly” or “good” bacteria. They are ubiquitous and symbiotic throughout the gastrointestinal system, where they have an important and protective role.
Thousands of years ago, a Roman naturalist named Pliney the Elder recommended drinking fermented milk to treat intestinal problems. Fermented foods are also mentioned in the Bible and the sacred books of Hinduism.
This represented the therapeutic use of probiotics, even before the bacteria contained within them were recognised. Many of the same soured milk products are still being consumed today.
Benefits offered by probiotics can be summed up as:
You can very well, asses why there is increasing interest among health conscious people, for probiotics. Probiotics, can help you in a number of ways:
- Stronger immune system
- Improved digestion
- Increased energy from production of vitamin B12
- Better breath because probiotics destroy candida
- Healthier skin, since probiotics naturally treat eczema and psoriasis
- Reduced cold and flu
- Healing from leaky gut syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease
- Weight loss
But that is still not the end, there is ample of scientific research showing much more than what has been cited.
How, do these bacterium help in overall general health?
Probiotic bacteria inhibit the action of disease-causing alkaline bacteria by maintaining an acidic environment in the gut. Probiotics can also increase the nutritional value of some foods by augmenting the breakdown and absorption of nutrients.
Which bacterial strains are beneficial for human beings?
Research based findings show:
Health benefits have mainly been demonstrated for specific probiotic strains of the following genera: Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, Saccharomyces, Enterococcus, Streptococcus, Pediococcus, Leuconostoc, Bacillus, Escherichia coli. (NCBI)
You, must be wondering why is it so, that you should have a healthy gut, or care for it, anyway!
Why is gut health so important?
Diet is an important factor in shaping the gut ecosystem. A diet of highly processed foods, for example, has been linked to a less diverse gut community in people.
The interaction between diet and gut bacteria can predispose us to obesity from the day we are born, as can the mode by which we enter the world.
Gut bacteria are an important component of the microbiota ecosystem in the human gut, which is colonised by 1014 microbes, ten times more than the human cells. Gut bacteria play an important role in human health, such as supplying essential nutrients, synthesising vitamin K, aiding in the digestion of cellulose, and promoting angiogenesis and enteric nerve function. However, they can also be potentially harmful due to the change of their composition when the gut ecosystem undergoes abnormal changes in the light of the use of antibiotics, illness, stress, aging, bad dietary habits, and lifestyle.
Gut bacteria have been found to be involved in many diseases, such as IBD, obesity, diabetes, carcinoma, HIV, and autism. When the gut bacteria undergo some imbalance, several diseases may occur. (NCBI)
So, we find that it is very important to take care of our gut!
How to naturally increase healthy gut flora?
Having a healthy gut should mean more to you than being annoyed by a little bloating or heartburn. It becomes central to your entire health and connected to everything that happens in your body.
Altogether, your gut is a huge chemical factory that helps to digest food, produce vitamins, regulate hormones, excrete toxins, produce healing compounds and keep your gut healthy.
Some ways to flourish healthy gut bacteria have been mentioned below:
1 Eat fiber rich foods. It’s the number-one thing you can do, says Justin Sonnenburg, Ph.D., an assistant professor of microbiology and immunology at Stanford University. New research suggests that fiber nourishes your microbes, making them diverse and more likely to help keep you slim. Avoid the temptation to buy processed foods that have added fiber. Instead, eat vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
2 Snack smarter. Bacteria need complex carbohydrates, like legumes and whole grains, in order to thrive. So when you get too many calories from sweets, you’re leaving your microbes hungry. They either die or adapt by feeding on the mucus inside your intestine, which, experts hypothesize, could contribute to low-level inflammation, a condition that has been linked to obesity. Choose brown rice and whole-grain pasta instead of white.
3 Eat good fats and get an oil change. The good fats we mentioned earlier (like omega-3 fats and monounsaturated fats, such as extra-virgin olive oil) will help with decreasing inflammation, giving healthy gut bugs a chance to flourish.
4 Supplement smartly. Beyond the numerous benefits (including reducing inflammation), studies find omega-3 fatty acids can support healthy gut flora. You should definitely supplement with an essential fatty acids formula, if you’re not regularly eating wild-caught fatty fish. You can find professional-quality formulas in my store. Take a good probiotic supplement. This helps reduce gut inflammation while cultivating health and the growth of good bacteria.
5 Remove inflammatory fats. Cut out bad, inflammatory omega-6 rich fats like vegetable oils. Replace these with healthier oils like extra-virgin olive oil and coconut oil.
6 Add fermented foods. Sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, tempeh, and miso contain good amounts of probiotics so your healthy gut bugs can be fruitful and multiply.
Probiotics and weight loss
Weight loss is a growing problem and there are many many products that link themselves to it. Linking probiotics to weight loss is the latest buzz!
Is it a myth or reality? We will uncover it for you..
Extensive researches have been conducted on specific bacterial strains, that show obesity fighting potential in them. Fat metabolism and uptake by the body van be altered with the use of right probiotics.
You can have a glimpse of research based facts:
Modulation of gut microbiota by probiotic treatment or dietary intervention due to its beneficial effects, can affect body weight, influence on glucose and fat metabolism, improve insulin sensitivity and reduce chronic systemic inflammation. However, most prominent effect of probiotic on host metabolism from human studies are reported basically for Lactobacillus and/or Bifidobacterium strains.(NCBI )
Consuming probiotics, so-called ‘good bacteria’, can reduce body weight and body mass index (BMI) according to a new meta-analysis published in the International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition.
Being on a steady diet is more favourable than yo yo dieting!
‘Eat healthy, avoid crash dieting and include probiotics to maximise health benefits!’
Research indicates that weight cycling, or “yo-yo dieting” is a common occurrence in overweight and obese populations. The long term negative health consequences of weight cycling are debated and it is unclear whether or not this weight change pattern poses a greater disease risk compared to obesity maintenance. (NCBI)
While losing weight can be good for you if you’re overweight, gaining it back can be hard on your body—especially if your weight jumps up and down often.
It has been found that extreme weight fluctuations, increase a lot of stress. Losing and then regaining weight may lead people into serious depression too!
High levels of the stress hormone, cortisol is linked with various diseases.
Exercise or as one may say physical activity, still remains critical to living a healthy life! Any sort of dieting that is hard on your system, may just be of no use, if we are sedentary beings!
Probiotics promise a healthy gut, and efficient uptake of nutrients by the body.
Why not switch to stable healthy diets with the involvement of probiotics and be relieved if all sorts of stress that we might gain weight!
What are probiotic supplements?
Good health starts with a well-rounded diet, but often times supplements are necessary to help cover your nutritional bases.
Probiotics allow for you to gain the most out of the food you’re eating while reducing systemic inflammation and with that help, your healthy food choices will positively impact your health while simultaneously satisfying the need to fortify your diet.
By promoting the growth of healthy microbiota in your system and thus helping in effective nutrition absorption through your gut, these are aid your daily diet. They may give you the best feeling of not feeling full all the time!
You are what you eat, but more importantly you are what you absorb.
Just as bacteria lines your gut, it also lines your nasal passages. Increasing the the mucus coating’s bacterial health and reducing inflammation in this area will allow for clearer sinuses and reduce the risk of infection, says leading health practitioner Chris Kresser.
Thus, probiotic supplements, in any form capsules or tablets, or frozen fermented products are agents that deliver a bunch of heathy bacteria that thrive in your gut and provide you various health benefits.
Many types of bacteria are classified as probiotics. They all have different benefits, but most come from two groups, which are most commonly used in supplements–
- This may be the most common probiotic. It’s the one you’ll find in yogurt and other fermented foods. Different strains can help with diarrhoea and may help with people who can’t digest lactose, the sugar in milk.
- You can also find it in some dairy products. It may help ease the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and some other conditions.
Research says.. Most prominent effect of probiotic on host metabolism from human studies are reported basically for Lactobacillus and/or Bifidobacterium strains.(NCBI)
Their benefits in general may be:
It is well established that Bifidobacteria confer positive health benefits to their host via their metabolic activities. Bifidobacterium may play an important role in treating diarrhoea.
The concept of using Lactobacillus species for disease treatment and prevention as well as health restoration and maintenance is also not new.
There is no shortage of Lactobacillus products in health food stores in North America and in pharmacies and other distribution sites in Europe and Asia. Questions have been raised about reliability, viable content, and the general quality of many products. (NCBI
Strains that have been found beneficial for weight loss:
When it comes to weight loss, or efficient fat metabolism probiotics are of great help. Research has established their efficiency. You can read in detail about them:
- Lactobacillus gasseri
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus
- Lactobacillus Paracasei
- Lactobacillus plantarum
Your knowledge would be incomplete if we do not warn you of a strain, that is very commonly used in probiotic supplements but is adversely linked to weight loss!
You should remember that it is not beneficial for weight loss.
A meta-analysis of studies on the benefits of different types of Lactobacillus probiotics published in Microbial Pathogenesis in August 2012 found that some species were more likely to cause weight gain in people than weight loss, including Lactobacillus acidophilus.
The overall average weight gain is the equivalent of 1.5kg for a 70kg man (STUDY).
Astonishing health benefits from Lactobacillus Plantarum!
One bacterial strain that we have mentioned above is Lactobacillus Plantarum! We would like to draw your attention towards it, making you aware of the massive bundle of benefits that it is capable of providing you!
While buying any probiotic supplement, look for this one, as it holds promising results for your health:
Let’s see, what research has revealed about this
- Plantarum is a bacteria we all need in or diet from birth to the day we draw or last breath.
- It is a strain almost completely extinct from our diets. L. plantarum is an essential tool in eliminating pathogenic bacteria. It is so effective, that were it to simply colonize its area of preference within the gut, it would eradicate colonies of E. coli via basic territorial dominance.
- plantarum is one of the best probiotics to address digestive distress!
- plantarum is resistant to most antibiotics. This makes it even more special! If at all, you necessarily need to take an antibiotic, while using this strain as a supplement, it will survive unlike others in your gut.
We recommend P3-OM Probiotic supplement that contains this probiotic strain.
We will summarise all the benefits of it for you:
- From producing B vitamins, to increasing iron and calcium absorption it helps in effective uptake of nutrients by your body.
- It is beneficial in cardiovascular problems by helping to lower cholesterol, blood pressure, and preventing atherosclerosis.
- Holds many benefits for the liver, GI tract, reduces inflammation, and is also beneficial for those with diabetes 2. Known to combat allergies, cancer, being amazing for skin, it also reduces anxiety, and improves cognition.
One benefit that we must not skip, rather delve into deeply is its benefit linked with obesity!
Research has established that L.plantarum helps to treat diet induced obesity.
Suggested readings: https://selfhacked.com/blog/l-plantarum/
How to choose the best probiotic supplement?
This question might put you in a dilemma. With so many supplements out there, its difficult to find the best one. We will guide you to make the best choice. Things that you should take care of, while choosing one for yourself:
- Knowledge about the bacterium strains that it includes: You must read carefully, what the manufacturer has to say. Do they provide enough information? Clinical trials testifying the efficiency of the product? How much research based facts are provide to make satisfy the customers about its efficiency.Moreover do some digging yourself too, and read about the mentioned strains and benefits linked with their consumption.
- Packaging: The form in which the product is created and how that form enables the bacteria both to remain alive and healthy while on store shelves, and to reach the areas in your gut where they’ll be most effective.A probiotic supplement full of dead bacteria—or bacteria that die in a sea of stomach acid—is a waste of money. Do not go in for probiotics which need refrigeration. But you still need to protect it from heat and moisture, so see that it is packaged well.
- Delivery system: Your probiotics should have an advance delivery system such that the are not killed by the stomach acid!The strains should even be such that they survive in the gut, and not crumble and die! An ideal probiotic would be one that can survive passage through the gastrointestinal tract, establish itself permanently in the small intestine and colon, and provide a specific health benefit for the host.
- For example, Lactobacillus gasseri, L.rhamnosus, and L.plantarum are known to survive the high pH of the gut.
- CFUs of the species: Probiotic potency is measured in colony forming units. Look for a dose of 10 to 20 million CFUs, a common range in clinical trials.Even higher concentrations are available. Do not look for the number of strains, rather value it in terms of CFUs the product can deliver!
- How legitimate it is – The Food and Drug Administration regulates supplements as if they are foods. As a result, probiotic supplement manufacturers don’t have to prove that their products are safe or that they work. So be discerning in your use of these supplements and evaluate them.Some products which claim to contain a specific bacteria have none of it, at all! Or it might sometimes be contaminated with unfriendly bacteria.Buy, it from a trusted manufacturer.
- Money back guarantee – This, may give you a sigh of relief. If the manufacturer provides a good and a hassle free money back guarantee, it will be very beneficial for you to estimate the efficiency and genuineness of the product yourself!I will be given by only those companies who truly stand by their claims.
- Do not be lured, by a combination of too many strains! When it comes to multi-strain probiotics, manufacturers are using the simplest of consumer beliefs which is “more of a good thing must be better”.Breaking this myth, we would like to tell you that when we’re talking about bacteria, more (and more importantly diversity) means
- Must know:
- Professor Gregor Reid, a leading expert on probiotics and a former chairperson of the United National World Health Organization Expert Panel, said it best: “…..very little is still known about the way in which different species of bacteria contained in many multi-strain products interact with each other.” He went on to say, “The tendency is ‘let’s have 15 strains’… ‘let’s have 28 billion’… You’ve got to know what they’re doing. Are they really having an impact? The strains inhibit each other. So what’s the point of putting them inside the same container if they inhibit each other?”
- The problem with multi-strain products is failed transportation. You pack multiple strains into one container unrestrained and not all of them will reach their final destination. Manufacturers give these living organisms no choice but to fight for valuable resources like oxygen and food.
So, what is Best Probiotic for weight loss!
Building muscle, and reducing fat in the body is craved by all.
Most diets compel us to be low on calories, high on healthy fats and proteins! Have we ever thought that this requires us to have a healthy functioning gut? We need to have a sound digestion, to breakdown the protein and fat that we consume.
It does not matter, whether most of our diet is plant or animal based, but a high protein diet, is heavy on the digestive system!
Everything is really taken care of, by what we ingest like antioxidants, essential vitamins, minerals, fibre etc.
But to have a steady health, who will take care of the fact that do we benefit from what we eat?
It has been rightly said that you are not only what you eat, but more importantly what you absorb!
No diet can benefit us, if we do not have a healthy gut.
Choose a probiotic that helps you absorb efficiently, nutrients that you take in, cleanses improves and aids your digestive system, such that you can benefit from what you eat. It provides overall health benefits leading to a stronger immunity.
Thus, look for a probiotic supplement, which does contain strains that provide an all round fortification for your health and digestion. A healthy digestive system is the key to losing weight and staying fit!
We recommend P3-OM.
Do not be attracted by multiple strains, but find the one you can rely on!
A healthy diet, with an exercise regimen, coupled with a probiotic supplement, will maximise your weight loss efforts, and make you achieve your goals!
Probiotics are not guaranteed for weight loss themselves. However, they should be an indispensable part of your daily health regimen. Probiotics can help ensure that the body is getting exactly what it needs from the foods you eat.
Studies have shown varied results of probiotics on weight loss. Some results are based on the type of probiotic or the individual.
Since, certain probiotics will provide you a healthy gut, which is efficient in digesting and absorbing what you eat, you are not likely to become obese! Using them wisely along with a steady and healthy diet as well as an exercise routine will give you results that you have long been waiting for.