- First thing, results after 10-days. I’ve lost a total of 7.75” and 8 lbs. Whoooohooo!The number one thing that drew me to The Blood Sugar Solution was its holistic approach. I already ate non-gmo, mostly organic and consumed very little processed foods, so right away I felt at peace with what I was reading. I could tell this wasn’t just another “diet” book.
- My favourite quote of the book is “Food is information”. Your body needs good information.
- It explained the intricate body so simply. I didn’t realize how insulin, digestion, hormones and inflammation could create such a vicious cycle. This book gave me the information and tools I needed to feed my body properly with.
- There are two plans to follow. The Advanced Plan and the Basic Plan. The Advanced Plan consists of green and yellow foods (cited below). I felt the advanced plan was a bit too restrictive whereas the basic plan has a good variety of foods I could eat for the rest of my life. And it allows for small amounts of dark chocolate too. If you don’t know me, the basic plan had me at chocolate 🙂
- There’s is no counting of calories. I hate counting calories and writing everything down. Instead you eat according to a perfect plate” comprised of three main food groups.
- Green Foods…Foods so nutritious they are unlimited (Mostly greens and non-starchy carbs).
- Yellow Foods…meats, legumes, nuts, berries, healthy oils
- Red Foods…Healthier starchy carbs (fruits, starchy vegetables, gluten-free grains)
- I kept a diagram of my “perfect plate” on my fridge with all the foods I could eat.
The list of non-starchy “green food” carbs is surprisingly extensively and I often felt like I was eating too much.
- It opened my mind. Six months ago, I would have rather died than give up gluten and dairy. I wasn’t pleased when The Blood Sugar Solution suggested I do just that for six weeks! I decided to give it a try. My asthma, chronic heartburn and most of my joint pain disappeared overnight. After two weeks, I didn’t care about gluten or dairy anymore. I tried new foods, learned to adapt my favourite recipes and quickly figured out what to order in restaurants.
The Blood Sugar Solution focuses on wellness … not just the number on a scale. I actually didn’t weigh myself for three months choosing to focus on how I felt. Scales can be discouraging and don’t always tell the whole story. The book encouraged me to measure my success with blood tests and quizzes instead.
- Can you actually start turning your health around in 10 days? Yes, you certainly can, and this book is an excellent guide to Hyman’s popular and science-based plan to “resetting” your body and ridding it of toxins — most especially sugar. Be warned: this plan goes far beyond diet alone. It is radical and time-consuming, and most people will find it a shocking change from their usual eating and living habits. But if you are ready to overcome easy habits in order to lose weight and improve your health, Hyman is an excellent guide. He walks you through the plan in great detail, explaining the science and rationale behind each facet of it. Hyman is both firm and upbeat, half doctor, half life coach. By the time you’ve finished this book, you’ll be convinced of the menace of “diabesity” and rarin’ to give up bad habits like sugary drinks and processed foods.
- The 10-day plan is described in great detail. You’re not left to choose foods on your own Hyman dictates what to eat and gives recipes. Each day of the plan has a specific theme and your day will be laid out by Hyman. Example themes: Day 1: Satisfy (your body’s cravings for good food). Day 5: Listen (to what’s going on in your heart and mind). He also provides a plan for “transitioning” off the detox phase, including reintroducing foods that you’d eliminated and evaluating whether they cause you problems.