Editor’s note:- Athletic Greens is the most well rounded green superfoods formula among all its peers. The product may seem expansive, however, after really studying it thoroughly and analyzing its ingredients and other points, it’s actually quite affordable. Overall, if you want the best green superfood drink, Athletic Greens is a no-brainer, especially when you can try it for 60 days and get a refund if you’re not happy. Remember to get their monthly auto refill program (aka autoship) for a monthly savings of $30.
In this Athletic Greens review I’m going to share with you my thoughts on this new greens supplement that has just recently increased in popularity. If you’re unaware of Athletic Greens then it is an all in one nutrition supplement that includes a variety of nutrient dense ingredients such as antioxidants, probiotics and vegetables. With all the new supplements that are hitting the market it’s going to be more important now than ever to make sure you’re spending your hard earned money on a quality product and I hope through this review you’ll be able to decide if this is going to be the right product for you.
I first heard about Athletic Greens through a very popular best selling book that I had just read so I decided to roll the dice and try it myself. After doing some basic research myself I found that the product to be legitimate and it had all the signs of a great quality product. After contacting the creators of this greens supplement I found that they had just first launched the supplement at the end of 2010 with millions invested into it and years of research behind it as well.
The first thing that they got right with it is that they actually made it taste pretty good and we know one of the major complaints with green drinks supplements is how bad they usually taste but Athletic Greens came out a winner on this one.
This is a Superfood Cocktail
Athletic Greens is a greens powder that has been brought out especially for use by athletes and people willing to invest in their health. It offers a premium superfood cocktail, with a well balanced list of ingredients that contains most of what athletes need for peak performance. Many greens drinks do not taste very pleasant, but this one has had several fruits, vegetables, vanilla and stevia added to the mixture. This results in a very smooth and slightly sweet taste that will appeal to most people.
A Single Serving Gives the Full Daily Value of Most Vitamins
The packaging on the container does claim no sweeteners are added to the mixture, but stevia, although definitely a herbal extract, is also used in many other foods and drinks as a sweetener. The other ingredients in Athletic Greens provide a complete multivitamin and multi mineral combination, which together with the greens supplement, will give athletes a supply of everything they need for a capital performance.
A single serving of Athletic Greens will give the athlete the requisite daily dose of zinc, almost the whole daily Vitamin A requirement, together with the complete complement of Vitamin C, E and biotin, as well as the necessary assortment of B vitamins needed.
This single serving also includes 160 percent of the essential day to day requirement of Vitamin B6 and about 500 percent of the Vitamin B12 that everybody needs for brain health. Enough Vitamin B12 is often difficult to get in the vegan diet, so Athletic Greens is a drink that will be a first rate choice of supplement for any athlete who is a vegan.
Buy Athletic Greens Now
All these ingredients are obtained from various sources and foods. Most of them come from a variety of greens, mushrooms and a wide range of herbs and herbal extracts, and all are carefully selected and have been tested thoroughly. These are all great for building g immunity as well as boosting energy levels. These ingredients are divided into four different components.
1. The first part of the list contains all the well-known Superfoods. These include the herbs and greens that are incorporated for their nutrients and alkalinity. Alkalinity is necessary for all athletes to keep the Ph of their bodies maintained, especially those athletes who neglect the eating of enough green vegetables in their normal diets. The Superfoods group includes supplements like spirulina, wheat grass and chlorella, and these elements make up the bulk of Athletics Greens drink.
2. The second section of important ingredients includes a number of antioxidants and even more herbs. This is the second biggest group of nutrients in the powder. Among other elements, the powder contains the essential antioxidant citrus bioflavonoids, some pea protein and CoQ-10.
3. A group of mushrooms, with both reishi and shiitake, are included in the third component. These, together with other digestive enzymes, aid the speedy digestion and absorption of all the nutrients.
4. The last section contains a selection of the important probiotics. Athletic Greens is a great source of the well-known important probiotics lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium bifidum. These microflorae are dairy free, but the acidophilus may also aid lactose sensitive people to manage digestion of lactose. The natural development of microflora already in the intestines, is aided by the inclusion in the superfoods section of the probiotic fructooligosaccharide. This will develop many favourable side effects in athletes’ general health.
My very favorite thing about this green drink superfood however, is the taste. With all the quality greens, leafy vegetables, grasses and algae, Athletic Greens has done an amazing job masking the ‘healthy’ taste with a little bit of chocolate love. You can’t beat it. Delish!
I’ve also been impressed with the nutrition panel in general. With 233 mg of digestive enzymes per serving, and a brag-worthy serving of probiotic formulas, Athletic Greens provides the energy, nutrients, and the help your body needs to utilize those calories.
Though the grams-per-serving cost is higher than others reviewed on this site, Athletic Greens delivers in quality. But now they’ve dropped the price to $97.00 and it’s only $77.00 if you join their loyalty program.
Taste and Value
“They done did good!” in terms of taste. Like I said before, the fact that they are able to mask the grassy/pond taste with just a hint of chocolate is wonderful. In my opinion, it is among the best green drink I’ve tasted if not the best.
When we break down the value of Athletic Greens, here is how we sit:
The introductory order of Athletic Greens costs $77.00 With 30 servings per container, and 12 grams per serving, we are looking at about $2.80 per serving. Not too bad for 12 grams of nutrition per serving.
You can probably find some cheaper green drinks out there but Athletic Greens does use more costly organic superfoods for ingredients. If you want quality, you pay more. That’s just the way it goes.
Buy Athletic Greens Now
Comparison of Athletic Greens with other brands
Athletic Greens has been touted as the be all and end all of green superfood drinks. I mean, they are convinced that simply calling it a ‘Greens Formula’ is too passé, and that it should be treated as ‘The Ultimate Nutritional Insurance’ instead.
Now, there are people with no serious ailments like gout or diabetes. But, still would definitely appreciate quality in a universal nutritional supplement, and as always, want to put all the confusing information available out there into perspective.
I hope that by doing a proper review and comparison I can help you make an informed decision.
Here are the stars for today:
- Healthforce Vitamineral Green
- Green Vibrance
- Amazing Grass: Green Superfood
- Athletic Greens
They were chosen because of their generally popularity and reputation for being some of the best green drinks in the market.
There’s one thing I won’t do however, which is to go into a ingredient by ingredient comparison. It would confuse and over-complicate things because of the sheer number of ingredients and overlaps. Instead, I’ll do a general feel for the different products and highlight important differences when required.
Let’s get to it then. I’ll break the whole review down into these categories:
- Results and Feel
- Overall Conclusion
1. Ingredients Comparisons
1 table spoon per serving, though there’s no indication of how many grams that is. I’d expect this to be about 10-12grams per tablespoon. It’s very finely ground, among the finest of the 4. It also feels similar in weight to the 12grams of Green Vibrance and Athletic Greens.
I don’t know what came over me one day but I decided to take it without mixing it in water. I choked for about 2 minutes because it was up my nose and down my throat. So, yea, it’s very fine. Definitely not as palatable as milo powder, straight from the can, lol.
1 tablespoon per serving at 12grams each. A measured spoon is provided for convenience.
Amazing Grass: Green Superfood
1 tablespoon per serving at 8grams each. This has the coarsest powder amongst the 4, probably explains why you get less per tablespoon. A measured spoon is also provided.
1 tablespoon per serving at 12grams each.
Superfood Grasses, Herbs and Antioxidants
The problem with Vitamineral Green is that they don’t provide a detailed breakdown of the amount of ingredients used. They recommend another product, Vitamineral Earth, to complement Vitamineral Greens. It seems like Vitamineral Earth’s focus is on herbs, so even though there is some in Vitamineral Greens, I would expect it to be mostly greens, with the herbs in smaller amounts. Has some pretty good ingredients though, like Basil, Moringa and Nettle, so it’s still a pretty robust formula.
At first glance having 71 ingredients seem like a lot and that it should get everything covered. Once you look at the ingredients list however, you find that the formula is heavily biased towards grasses, with spirulina and wheat grass topping the list. That’s not a bad thing, but it’s a waste because they do have very good herbs and antioxidants in the mix, like Acerola Berry, Ginko Bibola and Grape Seed Extract, though only in trace amounts with little mineral support. An above average formula.
Amazing Grass: Green Superfood
The most basic formula with grasses with some antioxidants. The ‘light and fluffy’ ingredients, combined with its relatively coarse consistency, probably explains why you get less in a tablespoon.
A very robust and well rounded formula. Lots of grasses, herbs, antioxidants and minerals. Great ingredients like Grape Seed Extract, Acerola Cherry, Wolf Berry (Goji) and some pretty expensive ones like Co-enzyme Q10 and Siberian Ginseng Roots. It’s important to note that if you take the amount of ingredients (as opposed to just the variety) into account, Athletic Greens has easily 3-4 times more herbs, antioxidants and minerals than Vitamineral Greens and Green Vibrance.
In short, it’s less diluted with greens and grasses, and has more herbs, adaptogens, antioxidants and minerals per unit weight of powder.
Another important difference in their ingredients – they have many concentrated extracts instead of pure ingredients. You remove the excess fibre to get the nutrient essence. It’s similar to traditional chinese medicine where the herbs are almost never consumed whole but are boiled down into a concentrate. It’s like getting the goodness of a whole broccoli in a few drops. That explains why you get more goodies even though the serving amount is the same.
Digestives and Allergens
Enzymes – Helps break down food
Probiotics – Promotes bacteria growth for a healthy digestive system. Fundamental and more important.
It has some digestives, using enzymes and probiotics in the form of Natural Soil Organisms or NSOs.
Its formula is free of GMOs, gluten, yeast, dairy and is vegan friendly. No indication of Soy though. They take pride in their ‘Truganic’ certification, which is supposedly much stricter and pure than being ‘Organic’. So, practically speaking, you can consider Vitamineral Greens a 100% ‘Organic++’ product.
12 strains of probiotic cultures for a total of about 25 billion of the tiny little guys. Now, it’s interesting because while it’s certainly dairy free, it seems like most of their strains are dairy based. So, it’s GMO, yeast and gluten free, vegan friendly and mostly made from organic sources, but it has soy-based lecithin and while it’s dairy free, some strains of probiotics are most likely based on dairy.
Amazing Grass: Green Superfood
It has some enzymes and probiotics, but again, it’s a very basic formula, so nothing to shout about. It says it’s gluten and soy free as well as vegan. As for the rest, there’s no indication, so it’s probiotics could also be dairy based. Its ingredients are mostly organic.
Has good digestive support in the form enzymes and mushroom formulas. Though it may have fewer probiotics compared to Green Vibrance with 2 strains and a 7 billion count, it’s not dairy-based, which is a plus point.
It’s also very proud of being pure, declaring on it’s label that it’s mostly organic with no GMOs, herbicides, pesticides, synthetic chemicals, artificial flavours or colours, preservatives and sweeteners. It goes on to say that it has no wheat, dairy, gluten, corn, lactose, sucrose, dextrose, egg, yeast, peanuts or animal products. Even its lecithin is not based on soy. From here you can tell, they go one step further, making sure that not only is Athlete Greens free from allergens, but their ingredient sources are not based on allergens as well.
Grassy and a little earthy. Imagine grass + mushrooms. Some may find it a little strong. Kinda like it though, but that’s me.
Grassy and a little hint of fruits. Not as strong, slightly neutral.
Amazing Grass: Green Superfood
Grassy and light, easy on the palate.
Athletic Green’s taste was the best bunch…which caught me by surprise. Never knew a great tasting green drink was possible! Tastes almost like a light papaya smoothie and goes surprisingly well with vanilla whey protein.
Taste is, of course, subjective. What may be good to me may be different for someone else. If you can’t take the taste, try adding some fruit juice (not too much of course..sugar), or drop some lemon juice into the mix.
3. Results and Feel
I didn’t want the benefits of the slow carb diet to seep into my results. So, I did this test on a normal diet, with junk food, over 68 days. Took each product for a 10 days, with a week’s break between each product. Note however that such products should be taken continuously long term for best results.
The most obvious improvement after taking Vitamineral Green was bowel movements. Other benefits like alertness and energy came slowly, with slight improvement towards the end of the 10 days.
There was an obvious improvement in bowel movements as well. That should be expected because if nothing else, you’re getting more veggies and fibre. Also a slight improvement in general towards the end of the 10 days. Can’t really tell the difference between taking Green Vibrance and Vitamineral Green.
Amazing Grass: Green Superfood
Apart from improved bowel movements, I didn’t really feel much difference with this product.
The difference for Athletic Greens was very obvious from day 3. I was much more alert and I could last longer when exercising. I could also wake up earlier with less lethargy even on a normal diet with lots of carbs. Digestion has improved as well.
Not only that, but the acne I started having a little acne at the side of my face a couple of months back was slowly fading away. Talk about ‘seeing is believing’. Interesting.
4. Cost US$
Average of about $50 for 500g or about 18oz, roughly a 45 day supply. Also available in capsule form for travel convenience.
Price can double or triple, depending on how many complementing products you want to get to achieve similar coverage.
About $60 for 60 days supply. Also available in capsule form for travel convenience.
Again, price can double or triple, depending on how many complementing products you want to get to achieve similar coverage.
Amazing Grass: Green Superfood
About $38 for 60 days supply
1 bottle = 360g, 30 servings
1 Bottle – $127.00
1 Bottle (loyalty, monthly auto refill) – $97.00
2 Bottles Double Dose (monthly auto refill) – $177.00 or $88.5/bottle
Shipping not included, be prepared to spend at least $8, depending on the option you choose.
5. Athletic Greens Review and Comparison – Summary
A high quality product created by an individual that’s passionate about life giving foods. Complementing products are available to cover vitamin, mineral and other requirements. I must say that I’m a little disappointed, partly because I expected a lot from Vitamineral Green. In the end, it gave me similar results to Green Vibrance, for the 10 days at least.
Assuming both are equal however, Vitamineral Green really feels like a higher quality product, with very finely ground ingredients in a glass bottle. Their reliance on their higher in-house standards like ‘Truganic’ and its unique probiotic strategy also gives peace of mind.
A robust greens formula that’s been fortified with a good mix of herbs, antioxidants and prebiotics, though there could have been more of it. Complementing products are available to cover vitamin, mineral and other requirements. Pretty good overall, and a good competitor with Vitamineral Green.
Amazing Grass: Green Superfood
A basic greens formula. It shows in its ingredients and hence, it’s price. Complementing products are available to cover vitamin, mineral and other requirements. It’s still a convenient way to get your daily dose of veggies, but you shouldn’t expect much apart from that.
At first glance, it seems like the most expensive solution. However, after really studying it thoroughly, it’s actually quite affordable. Why? Because Athletic Greens has the most well rounded formula, covering all the bases. Except for for oil based ingredients, like Omega 3 and Vitamin D3, which can’t be added into the powder, there’s no need to buy a ‘complementing’ product, and therein lies its secret. It’s like getting a computer with all the best accessory options already in, or a premium package make-up set. Rather than get a cheaper formula and then ‘topping-up’ later, you get everything off the bat.
One can also appreciate the attention to detail. From non-allergen sources of ingredients to a surprisingly tasty flavour base using ingredients that are natural and beneficial. Most importantly however, the improvements from using this product is obvious..and that’s what we want isn’t it..results?
6. Athletic Greens Review and Comparison – Overall Conclusion
- High quality ingredients with a solid mix of greens, herbs, antioxidants and minerals
- High quality extracts allows all the important nutrients to be squeezed in the same teaspoon of powder
- No allergens. Even ingredients are from non-allergen origins
- Tastes surprisingly good
- Gives results
- Value for money, all-in-one, no ‘complementing’ products needed
I must say upfront that I’m not a fan of their pushy hyped-up presentation. That seems to form the bulk of complaints about Athletic Greens in fact.
Apart from that, the only thing that’s stopping me from getting Athletic Greens monthly is availability outside the listed countries, or the lack of it. I was able to secure a bottle after a fortunate turn of events but despite my short experience with Athletic Greens, I can say that, in this case, there is no hype and you get what you pay for, which is a high quality product that’s good really for your health and surprisingly tasty to boot.
Don’t take my word for it, just look at the comments. Complaints are about the logistics while praises are for athletic greens itself, many from experience from competing products.
If Athletic Greens is not an option, I sincerely urge you to consider more affordable options I list below.
Otherwise, Athletic Greens is a no-brainer, especially when you can try it for 60 days and get a refund if you’re not happy. Remember to get their monthly auto refill program (aka autoship) for a monthly savings of $30.
Cheaper alternatives to Athletic Greens
Here I also list some of the cheaper options, that aren’t as great as Athletic Greens, but still do a pretty good job.
Actually, when looking for the best superfood powder, you need to factor in both quality and price.
First, try and figure out what kind of superfoods you’re looking for. Do you want a single ingredient superfood powder or do you want a blend? If so, what kind of blend? Green foods only? Just berries? Raw? Protein-rich?
The list goes on and on, and the various types of superfood powders available range from simple things like the aforementioned qualities to even complex matters like superfoods extracted from a specific geographic location or extracted using cold processing technology (raw/undenatured).
If you don’t know what that means, it means it’s going to be more expensive. In all honesty, I’d go with one of the following blends because they combine a good mix of price/quality:-
(Before checking out this list, remember if you want the best green superfoods powder and don’t care about the price, go for Athletic Greens. )
- IdealGreen :- Chock full of barley, alfalfa, wheat grass, spirulina, chlorella, algae, ginger and many other grasses and greens. One of our favorites because it is so pure and nutrient rich. I recommend this if you can’t afford Athletic Greens. It’s an affordable alternative and the best among its peers.
- Perfect Supplements Aquatic Greens – Organic: Pure blend of organic spirulina and chlorella powder. Can’t beat the price either. One of our top picks! They also offer other superfoods like alfalfa, wheat grass, barley, apple pectin, red beet, chlorella, milk thistle, grapeseed, broccoli and much more. See their healthy greens collection.
- Perfect Supplements Chlorella Powder – Organic: Pure, organic chlorella powder.
- Perfect Supplements 3 grass blend: A great blend of 3 natural grass – organic barley, oat and wheat grass . Makes for a great smoothie boost.
- BulkSupplements Chlorella Powder: Unbeatable price!!
- Perfect Supplements Plant Protein – This is an ideal blend of hemp, mushroom, and brown rice protein enhanced with enzymes and probiotics. Vegetarian protein powders are easily digestible and perfect for building and maintaining lean muscle mass. This vegetarian protein powder contains an immune system enhancing blend of super food mushrooms including Reishi, King Trumpet, Lion’s Mane, Cordyceps, Turkey Tail, Shiitake and Maitake.
- Rawgeneration PROTEIN CLEANSE – Protein Smoothies & cold pressed juices :- Awesome variety of green and antioxidants juices for protein smoothies and cleansing containing ingredients like spinach, kale, apple, dry fruits, flax seeds, dates, chia seeds etc. etc. It’s more on the expensive side but save 75% if you subscribe.
- Barlean’s Greens – Nature’s Perfect Superfood: Probably the highest quality superfood powder on the market. It’s also on the expensive side.
- Klamath Blue Green Algae Powder: 100% pure blue green algae from Klamath, Oregon. Over 60% protein by weight and one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet.
- Futurebiotics Certified Organic Digestive Greens: A tablet form of wheat grass, spirulina, barley grass and fennel sprout. Just in case you can’t handle all the powders 😉
- Nutricology: ProGreens Powder: A great mix of greens rich in natural protein and healthy fats. Definitely check this one out if you’re looking for a smaller trial size tub of premium greens powder.
- Nutra Forme Cyto Greens for Athletes: An energy-packed superfood powder rich in natural greens, enzymes, fiber, and detoxifying herbs like milk thistle. A great all around greens powder for athletes, bodybuilders or even regular people looking for a natural energy boost.
- MRM Daily Energy Greens – 100% All Natural: 15,000 ORAC units per serving, 100% all natural greens.
- Eclectic Institute: Eclectic Institute makes many different freeze-dried superfood POW-ders (as they call them) that contain only 100% organic, natural & free-dried pure food extracts. An incredibly popular brand with plenty of healthy superfood powders to choose from.
- Jarrow Green Defense: A popular green superfood blend that has been formulated specifically with immune boosting plant powders.
- Green Foods Green Magma: Barley grass tablets that are rich in protein and chlorophyll. If you’re looking for a tablet greens powder, here you go!
- Nature’s life Green Whey Pro-96: Whey protein and greens superfoods, can you beat that combo? Makes for a delicious, healthy breakfast boost.
- Olympian Labs – Greens Protein 8 in 1: A hemp protein fortified greens protein powder. One of our most popular because it contains hemp, pea and brown rice protein and tastes great!
- Kyo-Green Energy (Powder): A great greens powder for those looking to increase their natural energy levels.